Thursday, September 30, 2010

Motor building

Today, our class brought together various supplies to build a motor. As others would have been, I was greatly excited by the prospect of building a motor myself. With the excitement, Young and I partnered up to construct a motor. We spent the first 30 minutes hammering our nails into our wood. When Mr. Chung told us that we had 30 minutes to hammer a few nails in, I couldn't really understand why we would need that much time; however, after actually experiencing it, I realized why. We looked for perfect alignment of both sets of the nails, hammered until the nails stood straight, and continued hammering to equalize the height of all four nails involved. After having the hammering done, everything went smoothly. We had our brushes ready, and I thought we were pretty much done if we continued at this speed. I was wrong. The coiling part just got Young and me badly. The sharp tip of the nail kept poking my fingers, making them numb. Not only that, but coiling such a thing copper wire was strenuous. After painful coiling, we finally finished wrapping the copper wire around our commutators. The commutator worked as the instrument that changes the current applied on the copper wire, so that the motor can perform continuous spinning. Our barely made it over the pass line, but I am grateful of the fact that we passed.

Our motor :)

The paper clips are so pretty!

Collection of the passed motors.

Well done, everyone!!

1 comment: